(Dylan Duvall Photography)
Tulsa, OK | December 8, 2017 – Much like Aaron Lemmons’ heartbreaking announcement to sell the track back in July of 2016, a statement from the Port City Raceway Facebook page once again sent shockwaves throughout the micro sprint community, this time in a thrilling manner. In a press release posted this evening, PCR officials announced that the historic Tulsa, Oklahoma facility would return to racing in 2018 with the leasing of the track to Mike and Megan Eubanks of 2M Promotions, Inc. After sitting idle for months with racers left in the dark and the tracks future in despair, today’s news comes as a huge relief for racers around the nation and more importantly, the local and stout Tulsa area competitors.
“We are super excited to have this opportunity to bring back the sport we all love to our home town,” said Megan Eubanks in an official statement. “There is so much history at Port City Raceway and we really hated to see it go by the wayside. Racing has always been in our blood and we have always enjoyed being a part of growing the sport.”
Aaron Lemmons, who promoted the track for 13 years from 2004-2016, officially sold the track in November of 2016 following the completion of another stellar season. Lemmons helped soar PCR into the national limelight during his tenure, improving so much of the facility, creating prestigious events like the Donnie Ray Crawford Memorial, hosting the highest-paying micro sprint race in history with the $12,000/Win Outlaw Nationals, and bringing National Midgets to the 1/8th mile bullring.
Completing the sale to John Fiore, Lemmons initially agreed to stay on as Promoter and General Manager while Fiore simply took ownership, thus leaving the community with high hopes. However, this January, Lemmons announced that he had resigned effective immediately, leaving gloom and doom on what had been arguably the greatest run micro track of this century. Fiore completed three nights of racing in June at PCR, but that was all the track could provide. As the season came to an end, pictures surfaced on social media as the facility was left without care and began to grow worse and worse.
Today’s announcement comes as a light of hope for the community with an experienced and trustworthy duo of Mike and Megan Eubanks taking control of the facility.
“Mike’s dream of becoming a promoter is now a reality,” said Megan. “It is a new venture for the both of us and we have a lot to learn, but we feel very confident in bringing back the caliber of racing this track is used to. Aaron set the bar really high and we can only hope to do as well as he did. There is a lot of work to do to get the track prepped and ready, but we are diligently working to bring life back to it. We are putting together a team of experienced track workers to make this transition as smooth as possible.”
Additional details such as the 2018 schedule will be released at a later date. For now, the 2M Promotions has officially begun at Port City Raceway!